Monday, August 13, 2012

Our Wedding - The Reception

When planning our reception, we knew we wanted 3 things: Great food, great music, and lots of dancing.  We figured if we could really nail those 3 things, it was sure to be an awesome time.  I don't know about anyone else, but in my humble opinion, we pretty much rocked all 3, with a surprise 4th element which was the scorching heat.  True story...it was the second hottest day on record in Louisville the day of my outdoor wedding and reception (106 degrees...), and yet there was hardly any space on the dance floor.  That's how rockin' our guests were. 

Keeping with the sweet southern venue, and of course, my sweet southern groom, we wanted very simple romantic and southern elements at our wedding.  A few weeks beforehand, the boy and me made homemade chalkboard signs to direct people around our ceremony and reception.  While we took pictures with the bridal party, our guests enjoyed bottled water and cold washcloths to cool them down along with cocktails and an assortment of veggies, fruits, and cheeses.

Our tables were decorated and lit with mason jars and candles, and hydrangea bouquets with burlap table runners.  As I said, sweet and simple was the game plan. 







When deciding on our menu, we knew, without question, that we wanted southern food.  We ended up using Kingsley Meats in Louisville and set a menu of a full roast pig (the freakin' best barbecue!), citrus chicken, country green beans, roasted potatoes, cold cucumber salad, cheese grits, and of course, fried green tomatoes.  And yes, I did eat at my wedding, and it was awesome! 


My brother leading the bridal party in







Our plan was to relax and eat dinner, do the toasts, mingle some more, cut the cake around 9:00pm, and then start all the dancing....but alas things change (well, heat changes things) and we moved the cake cutting bit up after the top tier just melted off and fell off the cake.  This would have been the point which I probably should have flipped out...but I really didn't care.  I pointed at it and laughed.

The cake before...already tipping a little...




Our best man and made of honor both gave amazing speeches that made us both laugh and cry.  We were so lucky to have them by our sides that day along with the rest our our bridesmaids and groomsmen.  My dad also gave a wonderful speech as well, which was followed up by a surprise dance from my parents and their wonderful dinner club (our extended family). 


A must watch video of their surprise dance for us!



For our first dance as husband and wife, the boy and I danced to Ray Lamontagne "You are the Best Thing" and followed that up with a dance with my dad to "Songbird" by Eva Cassidy.  Two moments I will remember all my life.




We sang to each other the entire time we danced...

Dad & me


Once our first dances were over, the party officially began.  Despite the heat, we had people out dancing and playing cornhole until midnight, which is when the boy and me finally headed back to our hotel downtown to take the most needed showers in history. 

My sorority sisters joining in for a Theta kite!

dirty dancing - Aunt Karen & my cousin Summer

Pretty much the pic of the night - wearing my husband's tie, a glowstick, and with my dress pulled up to my waist to air my legs out by the fan!

The fans were a popular spot at the reception....conveniently located by the bar.

Dancing...


Dipping...

I can't wait to show y'all some of the shots of all the bridal party, including me and the boy! 

6 comments:

Keith said...

I remember a lot more of wanting to kiss on you all night. I didn't get to do that enough.

Keith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

“When planning our reception, we knew we wanted 3 things: Great food, great music, and lots of dancing. “ – Well, I think you were able to achieve all three! And the green and open space vibe is an added bonus! Despite the scorching heat, you and the guests enjoyed the ceremony and celebration. The heat became the least of your worries when you are celebrating the happiest day of your life. [Zachary Payne]

florists singapore said...

You really make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be really something which I think I would never understand.

Wedding Productions said...

You got a really useful blog I have been here reading for about an hour. I am a newbie and your success is very much an inspiration for me.

Unknown said...

I watched the video of their surprise dance, and let me tell you, I was laughing the whole time I was watching it! =D I have to give it to them. They really livened up the dance floor with that Lady Gaga music. Surely, your viewers will say the same thing as I have in mind: all your guests had a blast at your wedding. You must be one of those fun and crazy-in-a-good-way type of couple! Cheers to your marriage!

Libby Duppstadt

Post a Comment



Life, Love and the Pursuit of Chocolate

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved